Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fish! Fish! Fish!


This week my husband and I had the opportunity to spend a couple days at beautiful Custer State Park and do some long overdue fishing. The weather has finally cooled off. It was in the 60's at night and about 80 Degrees during the day. It is a absolutely gorgeous area with the lake nestled down between the Black Hills and big bull pines. I did not take my camera and It was more beauty then I could have even captured on a photograph. Wow, God sure has created some special places for us humble sinful people to whiteness. Some time I will take my camera to give you an idea of how special this place is. Stockade has now become my favorite Lake. My other favorite lake is so very low that it is hard to even dock the boat or safely boat around.

Here is a sight you can see some parts of Custer State Park http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/external.asp?url=www.custerresorts.com

The camp ground was very full but quiet. We woke up to 5 deer close by so we quietly watched them for quite a while before heading to the lake about sun rise. We caught a bunch of fish. We had to release a bunch as well due to the size limit on Bass is over 15 inches. We caught and reeled many that were 10 - 14 1/2 inches. Those are really fun fish to catch and even jump completely out of the water as you real them in towards the boat. They feel like such big fish and are hard to release. We also caught a lot of Northern Pike. Now they are big and so much fun to catch. They hit very hard and sometimes if you aren't using a steel leader they chump of the lure and are gone. They have very sharp teeth.

This is the bucket full of fish as we emptied them from our live well in the boat. The top fish is a nice size Crappie that my husband caught. Too bad we only caught one, they are good eating fish too. The next fish is the only 15 inch keeper bass, and I landed that one.


Here they are, most of them Northern Pike.





You can see that the Bass is 15" and the longest Northern Pike is 25 inch's. Most of the fish were caught using spinners, Yellow or green. I love fishing with spinners. My husband caught this largest Northern early morning with a top water lure as he was fishing for bass. Now that was a surprise when this big fish came up out of the water with the lure in his mouth.


This is a close up of the Bass and Crappie.



A close up of some of the largest Northern Pike. Next time I will take a picture of their big sharp vicious teeth.


My husband, bless his heart spent over an hour cleaning all these fish. We figure we got about 12 lb of fish. I won't even guess at the amount of heads, skin and insides that we had,and you ask what we do with all that stuff? We bury/plant it in several different holes in our garden. That's why our garden dose so good with growing blue ribbon vegetables. See blog below!


This is the difference in the fish filet's, This is the bass, the Northern in in the picture above.
We plan to take some of the fish meet to My parents in ND. They love fish and are no longer able to go fishing and catch them themselves.

No comments: