Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Memorial Cross at the Harvest field

As you remember from my previous blog post, five days after my brothers death, a large group of friends, family and neighbors got together to harvest the rest of the wheat. There were at least 10 combines, several big grain semi trucks and tractors pulling grain wagons. What a blessing that was for our family. I have now plenty of space on my blog for pictures so I will finish the report on that memorable day and also some earlier harvest events.
This is Jamie's best buddies who were combining the very field where my brother suddenly past away while swathing. They had stopped out of love and respect for Jamie who was at that very moment combining the last swath that his father had cut only 5 days earlier.

When Jamie got to the area where my brother had his heart attack, he stopped the combine for a very special tribute and memorial to his dad.


"Good idea Jamie!" That's what my brother would have said.


Jamie along with the assistance of his two sisters, Angel and Amber pound the steel cross into the wheat field. Jamie and his two brother in laws constructed the memorial cross.


My brothers family as they listened to the ringing of the sledge hammer.



My dad at far left on his 4 wheeler, My mother is in peach color just behind the cross. Family gathered for a devotion and prayer by my husband, Jeff.
Jeff reads from Psalm 90.
4For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by. or like a watch in the night. You sweep men away in the sleep of death; they are like the new grass of the morning--- though in the morning it springs up new, by evening it is dry and withered.
14 Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
16- 17 May your deeds be shown to your servants, your splendor to their children. May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us. ---yes, establish the work of our hands.
I did not copy all of Psalm 90, only portions, but you can read that yourself.
Jeff said a nice prayer and we all joined in the Lords Prayer.
Then My brothers wife led us in singing "Now The Light Has Gone Away."
The cross memorial. Below you will see close up pictures of some of the signatures.


Jamie back in the combine. The harvest must continue!


My youngest daughter, Dales Niece, Melissa signs the cross before heading back to their home.

*******

The afternoon of my brothers funeral, a group of Jamie's friends turned out to help him swath the rest of the wheat fields. What loving support and friendship.


Planning!

And there they go! It seemed to take no time with all the swathers to help.



********

Later that evening, Jamie received a call from a neighbor who lives close by. They had been hard at work combining the "Home" barley and wheat fields and wanted to know where Jamie wanted the grain. What a touching surprise!




Unloading the wheat from Tennisons big truck!



Jamie and his mother Kathy watch with tear filled eyes. What a special blessing when friends and neighbors come together to show love and compassion at a time as such.
It had been a long, emotion filled day!


Jamie taking time to drive the tractor with my grandson who just 2 months earlier had been on this same tractor with my brother, his great Uncle Dale.

My grandson's, my youngest granddaughter and my oldest daughter.

I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God in whom I trust." Psalm 91:2

No comments: