Monday, June 6, 2011

Crazy Horse Volksmarch.

This past weekend was the annual Crazy Horse Volksmarch. Saturday was a lovely day for the climb. I heard that over 6000 people climbed Crazy Horse on that one day. If you look at the picture, the place we would eventually wind up is on the out stretched arm over looking the beautiful Black Hills of SD. This is almost like a virtual tour of the 26th annual volksmarch.


You can see I am anxious to get started with my trusty walking stick with all the markers on it from the many volksmarches my husband and I did while on our 3 year military tour in Germany.
I did not have to walk the 6.2 miles alone, This is my second cousin Melissa, shes from my mothers side of the family. This was only the second time to make the climb.


This is my first cousin, Don, from my fathers side of the family. He and his wife have been coming over 500 miles for the climb for the last 15 years. His wife couldn't make it this time but he was very determined to make it here for his 16th time in a row. Since this was the 26th annual Crazy Horse Volksmarch, he only missed the first 10. I have lived here for many years and this was only my 7th climb and not all in a row.


We past this old school house on the long walk from the parking lot to the start, registration tent.

WE ARE OFF!


This is how far away the huge mountain is from where we start.

Some of the trail was very nice!

Some of the trail was a little rugged and steeper climb.

Don brought his cam-corder and I am sure for the 16th year in a row,

got some wonderful footage of the climb.




We had a registration card that had to be marked off at each of the four check points. This was the first check point. We made it with no problem.
This was one of the first spots where we could get a very nice view of Crazy Horse Mountain carving and an excellent spot to get a good picture. Me and cousin Melissa.

Me and cousin Don, he was such a good sport.

I loved this part, walking through and under those tall pine trees. It was almost like being in Germany again.

This picture below shows how beautiful it was with the sun shining through the tall trees.

It was such a nice day, mild breeze and low 70 degrees. Perfect for the 6.2 mile hike.




Check point #2. Water, bathrooms and even snacks if you want to buy some.





You can tell we are getting much closer but the hardest climb was still to come.

Don is still going strong, I don't think he ever gets tired.

Here we are getting to the harder climb.

There we go! Actually, I did get plenty of breaks and rests because you who know me well, know I had to stop to capture everything on my trusty NIKON camera. It was a good excuse anyway.





We are at the last check point #4. The steepest, most steady incline was just ahead of us.

You can see all the people walking up the hill. If you look real close, you can see many of the volksmarchers already on the arm (just above my head). We are already at a very high elevation.

I made it! Here I am on the arm with the big carved Crazy Horse head just in back of me.

It's a great feeling to make it to the top and look at the excellent work of the carvers and look at the beautiful Black Hills scenery from above.

Me and cousin Melissa, find her yellow t-shirt and then you can find me. There were tons of people up there and they were all snapping pictures of each other, just like we were.



Don to the right.

This is the view looking down off the arm to the West, the parking lots and where we start and finish is the lighter part to the right. The big information center and museum is just left of that.

We were face to face!

Just to prove he actually made it to the top!

A very close up to show the work of the carvers. The last time I was up there 5 years ago, it was only finished to just under the lips.


This picture is toward the South East.

This picture is toward the East.

This is at the far end of the arm.






This is the hole under the pointing arm and over the Horse head. When this hole is finished, it will be big enough that Mt Rushmore would fit through it. NOW THATS BIG!

The wind always blows strong trhough this tunnel. It felt good since we had gotton a little warm from the tough climb.

The view through the tunnel.


Below, Don is talking with one of the original sculpture's,

this is one of Korczak Ziolkowski's son's.


This is a plaster model of what the finished Mounument will look like. You can see the original rock mountain carving as you look under the arm. This is at the Museum.



YEA! I made it! We all made it!

If you are ever interested in climbing Crazy Horse, it is always the first weekend after Memorial Day weekend. There were children as young as 2 and even a few babies in back carriers, there were older people, some in their 70 and 80's and older.



This is the neet medal we earned (Or paid for since it actually cast $12 this year)

We could also choose to do the volksmarch without the medal for just $3.


Regardless, you get this pass and at every check point they mark it off.

It also is a nice souveneer.

If you want more information on Crazy Horse just google Crazy Horse.

No comments: