Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Amazing Bulb

This spring when I saw these Gladiola on sale, I decided I would try them in my flower garden.



This is what the variety of bulbs looked like. Not a pretty sight. They look dried up and very dead. I once used Gladiola bulbs for our Church woman's group devotion. I had bagged up one bulb in each decorated bag and tied it with pretty ribbon. The Bulb reminds us of Jesus , Dead in the grave after that horrific Good Friday. Each was encouraged to plant the bulb that fall and watch for the life, the green to appear in spring. Finally to watch for the beautiful lively bud and flower that reminds us of the great joy of Jesus Resurrection on Easter Morning. The planting of the bulb was a simple of our telling someone about Jesus. Planting the Seed. in this case bulb. Through Gods work through His Spirit, cosing it to grow. Faith. I always wonder how many of those 55 bulbs grew.



This is the bottom of the bulb and you can see where the roots will start forming.


This is the top where you can already see a tiny sprout forming. I planted about 25 of the bulbs and gave a few to my cousin.

Most of them came up and got off to a great start.

Below you can see a few that actually bloomed. Yes they were very pretty.
Unfortunately, this was the year for grasshoppers and I would guess that Gladiolas are their favorite food! Most of the green leafy plants turned out looking more like dried army green lace for all the holes the grasshoppers had munched into the plants. Only about 5 bloomed but they sure were pretty and all were a different color.







No comments: