Monday, August 31, 2009

The Fair

This is the vegetable collection that I entered in the fair Horticulture department. Some one ask about the ribbons I won so I thought I would tell you about a few of them. I got a red 2nd place on the veg collection. 4 blue, 5 red and 2 white at the horticulture department. I only got a red on the baptism romper from the 37 yr old pillow cases.


When I went to pick up my 6 photography entry's, I was expecting to pick them up in a regular paper bag like all the rest. But instead, this bag above is what they were packed up in.

This entry was the reason for the award bag. To my great surprise, this photo above of my daughter with her youngest daughter on her baptism day, won the people's choice award !
Because I won, I also won a year membership in the Black Hills Photography Society and a $25 Gift Certificate to a local store. It was a pleasant surprise!


These two photo entries I received red second place.



These are the other three photos I entered and did not ribbon on them!




These are the three beefsteak tomatoes that I entered, and they received the Blue ribbon. This picture was taken 10 days after I picked them and they sure have held up nice considering they hadn't even been refrigerated.


Today we used one of them for our BLT sandwiches.
You can tell how firm and meaty these tomatoes are, that's why they are
called beef steak tomatoes. Some other brands are filled with seeds and the softer part.

When the fair started this was a cut off tree. Every year for the past 4 years they have had a chainsaw wood artist at the fair and he did this during the fair. 10 days!




This was the creation he carved last year from another tree trunk not far from
this years creation tree trunk.


Below you will see pictures of some of the many rides.






NO, My husband and I did NOT ride on any of these. We did enjoy a walk around the fair and watching others enjoy the rides and games.
There was one Bungee ride that seemed to have a line and many
who enjoyed the very scary bouncy ride. It cost $35 for one and only $50 for two.
I would guess priority on how one spends money comes into play!
It's not for me!

4 comments:

Melissa Sutton said...

Congratulations on the peoples choice award. It is a beautiful picture.

The Hen (Charity) said...

I am so glad that you won a cool award! I bet you were so happy and that there was a bunce in your step back to the car.

Nana Porcupine said...

Actually Dad came with and after picking up the Photo entries we walked a big circle around the fair and took our time watching everything. It was fun!
I couldn't ask for a better subject for my winning photo!

ME said...

Congratulations on your awards at the state fair. The pictures - esp. the People's Choice were wonderful. I enjoy your blog.