Friday, December 29, 2006

Memorable Nativity

This Nativity is very special to me. It was purchased in 1983 at Offutt Air Force Base Exchange.
Our move to Offutt AFB in NE started the stormy weekend before Thanksgiving. We had quite a trip. My husband, I and our 2 daughters then 3rd and 4th grade stayed in the military TLQ, (for those of you who do not recognize TLQ, temporary living quarters, these were small one room with a small kitchenette and bathroom.) Little did we know that we would spend 3 holidays in this small living quarters. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. It was mid Jan. before we finally got in a military home. It was a good thing I had Christmas shopped before the move. The weather was very bad and most of that time we had no school, no work for my husband and worst of all, no Church. When my mother sent our gifts, she sent me $$ for Christmas as my gift was not as much as the rest of the family. So 10 days before Christmas when this beautiful Nativity had finally gone on sale I purchased it so we could use it to decorate and remember the blessed gift of a savior. We celebrated Christmas dinner with our next door TLQ neighbors and we still remain friends to this very day. Every year when I decorate using this Nativity, I remember those days with joy. Those 6 weeks turned out to be a blessing for our small family of 4, spending much quality time with each other weather we wanted to or not.

No comments: