Wednesday, April 18, 2007

FRESH EGG'S

A friend of ours gave us some farm fresh eggs, YUM YUM! I was brought up on a farm and believe me there really is a difference. These eggs look wonderful, the shells are extra hard, the yolks are bright yellow and firm and WOW !they taste great. It reminds me of when I was a little girl and had to go collect the eggs. I loved eggs then and still do now. We would sell eggs to a few of our neighbors but mostly I remember how we would pack the eggs in a wood crate, about 12 doz. to 15doz per crate, and take them to our small town and sell them, more like trade them for groceries. At that time our town had two grocerie stores, now there are none. Like most small towns, it has dwindled to almost nothing, but it is still home to around 80 people. Not only did our hens provide us with fresh eggs but supplied us with a lot of groceries. Times sure have changed. I bet no one can sell eggs to a grocery store now except for the big, huge egg companies. I remember every May how excited I would get when we cleaned and prepared our brooder house for baby chicks. Then the day came when we could go pick them up. What a joy it was and what a loud peep noise listening to those 100 precious 1 or 2 day old chicks in a big cardboard box all the way home from the store. (About 14 miles) The cardboard box was divided into 4 sections with 25 chicks in each section. There were small round holes in the box and I remember sticking my little fingers through the holes and feeling the little fragile pick, pick from the chicks beaks. We would carefully unpack the chicks with my mother keeping close count. I can still remember the smell of the fresh straw with the heat lamp shining on it to keep those fragile chicks warm. I spent hours in the brooder house just quietly sitting, listening and watching those yellow, fussy cute baby chicks.


No comments: