Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Farm

Since I haven't blogged in awhile I thought it might be fun to share some memories and pictures of my home from about the first 20 years of my life. The Hanssen farm.

This is the house I was brought up and raised in. This also was my fathers home since he was born 89 1/2 years ago. This picture is from the South and my bedroom was upstairs. the top window you can see. The house hasn't been lived in for quite a few years now but is still standing. At the left, you can see the new blue house that has replaced the farm living quarters for the last 30 years or so. I remember many things about this old house. It was small and old but always filled with the warmth of love. We always had what we needed.


This is the new house that my parents live in now. It is a very nice, comfortable home with a two car garage. Yes, this house still feels like home to me. Its the family and love that make a home. The big evergreen tree towards the left is the same tree as the one at the right of the old farm house. I remember when it was small enough for me and my brother to jump over.



This is a picture from the East, from the drive way that leads up to the farm. Its a very pretty setting and My mother still has quite a few colorful flowers in summer and my dad keeps the lawn mowed and in tip top shape.



This is taken from the house towards the East where you can see the drive way. You can see the lawn decorative windmill on both pictures, this helps to show distance and location.


Unlike the old farm house that only had one tiny foot square window towards the North, and that was in a cold upstairs hall way, the new house has a nice big picture window that faces the North East. My parents, especially my mother loves to farm from the window. She can see many farm happenings from the living room.


This is another view from the living room picture window. You can see the farm truck, barn, and the pasture. My mother feeds humming birds and can also watch them.



This is a picture of the farm from the East, just across the highway. This is my dad on his 4 wheeler just west of the big pasture gate. If you click on the picture it will enlarge and you can see the farm house and barn much closer up.


The big red barn from the South. I love that farm landmark. This is the second barn on this farm, The first barn burnt to the ground when my father was in his twenty's and in World War II. This barn was used for years for milking cows. Now it mostly houses beef cattle and their young calves and the milk house in the far left corner is used for cutting up and processing deer during hunting season.


This picture was taken from the North of the barn and you can see the farm house to the right and beyond the barn.

This picture was taken from the far East, across the pasture collie. You can see many of the beef cattle and the farm from a distance. It is a very picturesque farm. The farm was a very safe, great place to grow up and I still enjoy my time on the farm. Winters are a little harsh with -30 degree weather and plenty of snow cover, wind and storms. Spring is a very pleasant time in ND.

2 comments:

lhd said...

Hi, it's your East Coast cousin, Lois...what a nice tribute to your parents and the farm. I always enjoy stopping to visit with your family on my trips back "home." Your folks are very dear to my heart. love your blog, keep it coming!

Nana Porcupine said...

Thank You! It is so nice to hear from you and know someone reads and enjoys my blog!