Friday, September 12, 2008

The Sun Flower

Every year we have volunteer sun flower plants in our garden. We let a few grow mostly for the birds. This year however we had this huge, full, 12 " diameter head.
It was so big and heavy, it was just hanging.
I thought this would be a good head to use for fresh,
salted,
roasted
sunflower seeds.




WOW! Looks like the squirrels or birds thought the same thing. When I checked on it, this is what I found. I had to pick it, I knew it would not last even another day. THEY DID THIS MUCH DAMAGE IN JUST ONE MORNING BEFORE 8 AM! We have plenty of smaller heads the birds and critters can snack on.

You can see how big the seeds already are. They will finish filling by using the nutrition from the top light green crowns.

These sunflower seeds are great to eat even before they are salted and roasted.

SPEAKING ABOUT GOOD TO EAT! ! !

Yum, Yum! This tasty peach pie was baked by our oldest granddaughter. It was for the county fair 4-H auction. Her Aunt, our youngest daughter bought it. When we arrived home from our WV vacation, there it was in our freezer, well at least a part of it , there were a couple slices missing. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this tasty treat with such flaky crust.

A BIG THANKS TO BOTH OUR GRANDDAUGHTER AND YOUNGEST DAUGHTER.

No comments: