Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pillows for Porcupine






I have a friend, as a matter of fact, she was my 5th grade teacher, who sewed 50 pillow cases for our Porcupine Mission people. You can see what a lovely job she did and how very beautiful and bright colors they are. We certainly thank her for this gift of love. These were sewn in ND and I had a great memorable opportunity to pick them up and visit with her in March when we were in the area.


There were not as many people there today because of several other activity's and very nice warm spring weather. The people who were there were very excited to do this object lesson. One little boy ask me if he really got to take his pillow home to his house? He was overjoyed.

The rest of the pillows and pillow cases will be given out in two weeks when we go there again. We know who has received them and already have a list of regulars who weren't able to attend today.

I did a flannel board using sheep and a shepherd then changed the sheep to children explaining how we need a good shepherd to watch over us and guide and care for us. I replaced the shepherd with Jesus, The Good Shepherd and let those who wanted to place a little lamb on the board to represent themselves and how Jesus loves them and knows our name. We sang I am Jesus Little Lamb. I told them how the white fluffy pillows reminds me of the lambs.

John 10 The Shepherd and His Flock
1"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. 3The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."
We then each drew a red heart on the pillow and wrote Jesus Loves (their name) in this case it was Brandon. This assured each that they really are loved by Jesus and he cares for us not only in the day but all night long even when it is dark and we are alone or asleep. The little boy above seemed deeply moved by this great love of Jesus. He has been away from his mother for over a year now, he is living with other family members. I don't know the reason for this big change in his and his sisters life but I do know it has been very hard for them. We are very blessed to have the opportunity to tell them about Jesus great love and Gift of eternal life to all those who believe and are baptized.



Just a few of the colorful pillows awaiting their ride home. Their new owners kept a close watch over their pillows making sure they got their own pillow.


Step #1 Draw a red heart and wrote "Jesus Loves Ty" with the permanent fabric markers. The pillows were purchased at a very good sale with funds donated by my home church, http://www.zionrc.org/ Zion Lutheran. What a warm, comforting gift of love.


Step #2 Chose a special pillow case, put it on personalized pillow and hug tightly. Their very own pillow to keep forever and ever.

Some of the pillows were almost bigger then the children! So cute!


This little guy actually fell asleep on his new pillow. Very sweet.

Big pillow hugs!




The camouflage pillows were very popular with the boys!



This mother and little 2 yr old both hug the pillow.

Even the older boys enjoyed this project and the
camouflage pillow cases!


Can we say "BRIGHT PINK"?


PSALM 23
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

1 comment:

Melissa Sutton said...

I love this post! I think of all the lives you have touched with the Help of our Heavenly Father and I am so proud of you. What a wonderful personal project and lesson you presented to these little ones and their families. You are truly and inspiration!