Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Buck!

Yesterday, Jan 12 Th was a very, very windy day! Gusts measured to 75 MPH. We looked out our kitchen window to see this beautiful Buck laying just North and in our neighbors yard. This was a good place for him, protected by the fence and hill from the strong North wind.


I took the above picture from our window. This is the same exact place we had spotted a doe just 2 weeks earlier when our grandchildren were visiting and had the opportunity to see it from our window.

I watched him for a few minutes and then decided to walk outside and snap a few pictures. He was so content but didn't take his eyes off me. They sure are a beautiful sight when you see them so close up.
I actually walked right up to the fence and he just lay like a statue.
About 2 hours latter, He had turned the other direction so I got my camera again.

Then when he stood up, I could see why he had been so content to lay! His right leg was injured. I immediately felt so bad for the poor beautiful deer. I even trough some cut up apple over the fence in case he wanted to nibble on it.


I walked up closer. I'm surprised I could take a halfway clear picture with the way the wind was blowing and tugging at me and my camera.

We watched the deer all afternoon. He was laying most of the time and licking his wounded leg!
This broke my heart! I would have taken him a bucket of water had I thought it wouldn't scared him away. He was still there as it got dark, but this morning he was gone. I would hope or guess that he limped off to find some water and some good eating. I think his injuries might of possibly occurred from a car hitting him. There are a lot of Deer in town since the hills have over 5 ft of snow this year and it is hard for them to find food.
This reminds me of a Bible verse and song. Psalm 42: 1 As the deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.

No comments: