Friday, July 4, 2008

Knee High

A saying that I have heard my parents and others say since before I can remember is "KNEE HIGH BY THE 4TH OF JULY". They were talking about the corn. I guess that was a measurement that meant the corn was doing either "GREAT" or "POOR" Well hear is a picture taken just a few minutes ago and I guess our corn is looking "GOOD"
Better then my knees anyway! So anyway, " A HAPPY BLESSED 4TH OF JULY TO YOU ALL"!
So you remember about 11 months ago we were building our North 6" wide deck!

When my husband finished putting the old maple hardwood flooring on, I found out some old, couple colors pored together, oil stain and put it on the deck to get us through winter. And that it did very nicely.
Now it was time to purchase good oil stain and re-stain the deck. I also stained the glider bench and the wood rocker. I did this on July 1st.

Then yesterday the 3rd, I put a fresh coat of the same oil stain on our larger west patio.
Today or this morning I stained the 2 benches on the patio and our German wood keg. We found this keg about 22 years ago when we first moved to Omaha NE. We retrieved it from a deep creek area. It really didn't mean that much but we used it on our cement patio as a small table. When we received orders to Germany, we put the keg and other items in storage until we returned 3 years later. That is when we noticed the name and also recognized the name ZWEIBRUCKEN on the keg. This was a small village not far at all from where we had spent 3 years in Germany. How amazing that God would give us our German souvenir even before we knew we were going there. How all knowing and powerful. I have been trying to find a verse n the Bible that says something like "I know the plans I have for you" says the Lord your God. I can't find it so if anyone can, please let me know. There are many many Psalms that reassure us of His power,knowledge and the truth. I will share a part of my favorite PS. 139. O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.
I just thought I would share a few more flowers and garden scenes.














This is the corner of our garden pond. It is quite small but I love it.
This is what we call snake grass. My mother has some. It looks a lot like grass so you have to be very careful when pulling grass from your garden. I always remember about 32 years ago when my mother has been in the hospital for a long time recuperating from a bad pickup accident. My father wanted everything to look extra special and nice for her when she returned home and not knowing, he pulled up or off the snake grass plants just on the North side of their house. My mother noticed , but out of love , she never said a word to my father about the plant. It came back extra thick and today I have some of it at my home.
It blooms very pretty and in clumps of blossoms.
This is a Potentilla plant. these flowers are tiny, about size of a nickle.
This is a different Potentilla plant or bush and these bright yellow flowers are much bigger, about like a 50 cent piece. If you can remember what size they are, you rarely see the half dollar anymore.

1 comment:

Life as a Rauschendorfer! said...

I never knew that about your barrel from Germany that is pretty neat. I enjoy the pictures!