Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Lettuce spinner

Have you ever seen or used a lettuce spinner? I hadn't even heard of one until I saw my daughter use hers. It worked great. To be honest with you, I was not even aware they made such a thing.
Well, this is what it looks like. Now I have my own.
I received it as a gift from my daughter.

The inside comes out so you can easily wash the lettuce, then you put it in the outside container.
Make sure the cover is on right, lining up the holes that you see by my hand. Hang on tight by the finger marks and turn the crank with the right hand.
Wallah! The lettuce is spun dry, fluffed up and ready to eat or bag for friends. This year has been such a good year for lettuce, I have certainly used this kitchen tool and don't know what I would do without it. I have given several bags of fresh lettuce to friends and neighbors. If you notice below, you can see this has been a good year for radish. Most years are too hot and dry. This year has been cool and lots of needed moisture.

I like to pick some of the onions while they are young and tender. Even the greens are great cut up in the lettuce salad. My favorite dressing for fresh leaf lettuce is one my grandmother and mom used to make. It is very simple and also good on cucumbers.

1/2 cup of cream

3 table spoons vinegar

3 table spoons sugar

You can also add a bit of salt & pepper to taste or I like Dill weed

No comments: