Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Heirloom


An heirloom is any treasured possession handed down from generation to generation, according to Websters Dictionary! Well this is certainly a heirloom! This is the very Baptism Gown that my 87 yr old mother was Baptised in, September 1921. It was hand made by her mother, my loving grandmother. She gave birth to 12 baby's and one was dead at birth. She hand sewed a Baptismal gown for each child. What a special talent and gift for each child to pass down from generation to generation.

This is the delicate front and the tiny hand stitching. I just love these old heirlooms.

This is the back and as you can tell, even the tiny buttons were hand made and stitched.
My older brother wore this beautiful gown in September of 1948, and I wore it in August of 1949.
Then came my brothers three children who were also Baptised wearing this gown. Angela in January 1977, Amber in August 1979, and Jamison in December 1981. And then again, maybe I am wrong, I could not be there for all their Baptisms and maybe not all three wore this Heirloom Gown.

This is little Brayden, Amber's baby son, My Brothers first Grandchild and My Mothers Great Grandson. I tell you this because tomorrow He too will wear this Heirloom gown as He is Baptised. The white reminds us of the forgiveness of sin and also that through Baptism we are made white as snow. Is 1:18 . . . "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; . . . Brayden will be adopted by God as His very own child, a child of God now bearing the name of Christ, Christian! The white gown also reminds us of heaven as referred to in Rev 7:13-14 Then one of the elders asked me, "these in white robes -- who are they, and where did they come from?" I answered, "Sir, you know." And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
Little Brayden often folds his hands, since he was just days old. I think this is such a unique thing for a baby to do. I know he dose not know but it sure is nice for all who see his little hands folded and reminds us to take it to the Lord in prayer.
We will be saying a special prayer for Brayden on His Baptism. We wish we could be there but
our thoughts will be there with Brayden and the family.

2 comments:

Frustrated said...

mamakat-59Thank you what a beautiful blog!! We also wish you could have been with us.

Life as a Rauschendorfer! said...

Thanks Diane for this Blog! We missed you two yesterday as well. Melissa did such a great job of taking pictures. I hope that you get to see them all!