Thursday, October 11, 2007

GREEN IS GOOD!

EVEN IF IT IS GREEN JELLY???
Green is good, if you don't believe me, just ask my youngest granddaughter. She loves green!
I have a lot of green peppers in my garden, I can't explain why but this must have just been a good year for Green Peppers. I have given a lot of them away but still have more then we can eat so I ask my mother for her Green Pepper Jelly receipt. I love green peppers now but as a child I hated them. Maybe that's why I don't remember eating this Green Pepper Jelly. Green just didn't seem like a color for jelly!

Its a easy receipt with only four ingredients. As you can see here, Green peppers, ground up, vinegar, sugar and sure jell. Above is the ground up green pepper and vinegar.


Then add the sugar, lots and lots of sugar! That's what makes the Green Good!



Here I am boiling this mixture and stirring occasionally. After it boils for two minutes, I STIR IN THE SURE JELL, for five minutes.




This is the finished product. Looks nice and green, doesn't it? (see first picture on this blog). I do believe I will take a jar along when we visit our oldest daughter. I will check if my youngest granddaughter likes this kind of green. My parents like this jelly with meat, especially roast pork.


OK, here is the Green Pepper Jelly receipt that my mother sent to me. It looks like her original receipt from years gone by. Look at the old fashioned stove on that recipe card!
Even though we write each other two lengthy letters every week, I'll treasure this old receipt in her own personal hand writing.


1 comment:

The Hen (Charity) said...

It is amazing but chick #3 does not like green peppers, we all know that pickles are a completely different story!