Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Rainbow

I love rainbows and it is not too often that I get to see one and especially when I have my camera in hand. Many times the rainbow is just a part of one or at least from where I am, can only see a part of it.

My Husband and I, along with a small group of people, go to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to do mission work. We have been doing this two Sundays per month for 6 years now. Throughout this time and as we travel the 75 miles to and from the reservation, we have been blessed to see a lot of Gods beautiful creation. I will post more pictures of scenery and sun sets another time, but for now, I want to concentrate on the rainbow.
A couple weeks ago just as we were getting ready to have our closing prayer and leave for home, it started to rain, minutes later a gorgeous full rainbow appeared.
It was so special that it was behind our new church. OK, its actually a old church building, and had sat empty, not in use for 12 years, but it is new to us and a much nicer church atmosphere then our old church building. I will have to do another blog soon and show the insides of both church buildings and then you will understand what I'm talking about.

The white cross shows up so nice with the dark sky.


It always amazes me that the top side of the rainbow, the sky is so dark and the bottom part is a lighter sky.
When I think of the very first rainbow ever from the Bible after the great flood, I can't help but feel the joy of Gods blessing and promise to be with us as we spread His word through our Mission work. Sometimes we get discouraged and tired but then I think of the verses in Genesis 9. God said, This is a sign of the covenant. I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come; I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
verse 16. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.
The Rainbow has always been a sign to me and many other Christians that God will always keep His promise. I know He has blessed our mission and will always be with us giving us strength , wisdom, faith and courage through His word. He promises eternal life with Christ for all who believe and are baptised and that promise is also for Native American people.

This picture was taken 4 years ago when we were still at the old Church building. This also was very special to all who were there and viewed this wonder that only God can create.

I find it amazing that these pictures were taken 4 years apart at close to the same location but if I would put this picture next to the last picture from a couple weeks ago it would make a full rainbow.


This rainbow from 4 years ago, on that hot summer day, was also a full rainbow and gave me the opportunity to review the lesson of Noah and the flood and the promise rainbow!


This was taken from the door of the church building. One of our Native friends had ran up the hill and was looking at the rainbow. I hope you have gotten to witness the beauty of Gods promise, (rainbow).

No comments: