Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Mother of Crafts

I thought I would blog to let you know what I was keeping busy with this week. The Mother of Crafts or should I say the Craft for Mothers!


This Sunday we again will be going to Porcupine for the mission Church service and Sunday school. Since it is Mothers Day we will be making a craft that each child will enjoy making and taking home for their mother. Most of the children do not have the opportunity to give their mother much.



First I cut nice size colorful pieces of tissue paper and with some help from my cousin, we put a piece in each craft bag. Last week when we were there, we had 37 of the younger children who made crafts, so we are prepared for 40 this Sunday. It is such a blessing to have so many come to hear about Jesus and His love and forgiveness for each of us.


One of the hardest things with the crafts is keeping the cost down when preparing 40 crafts!

I bought 70 cents worth of glitter felt and cut out over 100 flower shapes. I thought pink and purple would look nice for mothers.
Next, I get out my old trusty hot glue gun. This has been used many times for all sorts of projects. I don't know how I ever lived without it.
I received this glue gun one Christmas as a gift from out dog Buster. He has been gone some 15 years now so you know about how old the glue gun is. I used gem stones from our local craft store for the center of each flower. About $2 worth.


Lots of gluing going on. But I love stuff like this so please don't feel sorry for me.

You have to be very careful not to get the hot glue on your fingers.

Now don't they look nice? The stone adds so much to each flower.

Now I use the glue gun again to glue 3 flowers to each bag.
I can't take credit for the idea for this craft. About a month ago I went
to our Zone LWML Rally and for our lunch, each setting had one of these decorated bags filled with candy and special things. They were a little smaller and better quality bags. These craft bags came in packages of 13 and were much more affordable.

Next I get out my markers and draw green stems.


And leaves!

My cousin helped me sort and put together sandwich bags with 4 or 5 of the free hotel samples that many people kept for us. We had plenty of these cute soaps, shampoo's lotions and bath gel's to fill 40 bags, thanks to many travelers!


Each bag would also get a colorful card for each to decorate and make into a Mothers Day card for their mother, grandmother or whoever is in the roll of their mother.

This is the cross that was decorated by the members for Easter.
Now each child will use one of these flowers to add to the decorated bag for their mother.

The bags turned out nice and I think the children will be proud to give one to their mother. The children will also have the choice to add printed bible verses to the other side of the bag or for the card.

ALL DONE!
And the cost for 40 crafts only came to approximately $8.
I hope you enjoy crafts!
You could try something easy like this for many occasions.
I wish everyone a blessed relaxing mothers day, Sunday the 11Th.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cute and very clever! Thanks!