Monday, July 23, 2007

The 125th Anniversary Parade

The weekend was full of activities. there were dances both Friday and Saturday evening. a museum, a flea market, food concessions, (they even had my favorite, Indian Taco's) We had time to mingle, talk with friends and classmates whom we had not seen for years. Some since we graduated. I must admit that was a few years ago. 40 years for our class. It was hard to recognize each other with so many people there but once we did and started reminiscing, it was almost like the years had never past. It sure was fun seeing so many classmates.
Saturday morning about 10:30 was the big and I do mean big parade. For Petersburg being a small town of about 200 to 300 people, they sure did throw one big anniversary celebration.

This is my dear Dad who I love very mush and am very proud of. I took this picture just before the parade started. He is a Army World War II veteran and was ask to ride in a Army Jeep. My Husband and I talked him into wearing his old Army wool Jacket. It was a good thing the morning temp was around 70 degrees. He was good and ready to take of the jacket after the parade, by then it had warmed up to about 85 degrees. It is very small on him but at least he could get it on and I think it really added to the parade. He used to be a jeep driver during the war and even drove General Patton around.

This Jeep is not near as old as the one he actually drove in 1945 . This Army caravan of about 10 vehicles was driven and restored by a Club who live near the area and some are still active military.
There were hundreds of people at the parade.


This is an old Studebaker Army vehicle.


There were several floats in the parade made or put together by different class's. This is my brothers class of "66". He is the one at the far left in the light green short sleeve shirt with a white cap on. They had over 16 of their class members there. They also have had several reunions and parties through the 41 years. Our class of "67" however was much smaller and we did not have a float or wagon to ride on. I also think our class is scattered further apart through out the US.


As you can tell this is the class of "70" I knew them well since several of my cousins were in this class and I hung around with them a lot. I also liked their theme,
IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE







There were horses, well, at least 1 horse!


This is my nephew again. He is also a Volunteer fireman for Niagara. He takes this very serious and has been a big help to the team. He has been to several training camps and sessions and not only has he been trained for fire fighting, but first aid and medical response.









There were tractors, this one was restored and painted by one of our friends. It was driven by his brother and these are all his nieces and nephews in the "POOP FLY" like my ND Cowboy nephew used to call it when he was just a little guy.

There were many old cars, and other entries in the parade. It must have taken a hour. Below you can see there were even clowns. There was so much candy thrown that the children got tired of picking it up. Even the next day, Sunday, the St Andrew Lutheran Church had a big bowl of PARADE CANDY on the fellowship refreshment table. Sunday morning Petersburg had a All Faiths reunion Church service and Sunday afternoon a tractor/truck pull.

No comments: