Thursday, July 26, 2007

Green Fried Tomatoes UM-UM

Hear we are, back in our garden, Yes, these are some of my biggest very green tomatoes. This is one thing that my family and others frown n, me picking their green tomatoes. and have you ever tried to buy green tomatoes in a grocery store or farmers market? NO! you can only buy ripe red tomatoes. I always give my parents and brother a rough time and tease them about sneaking out to their garden and picking their green tomatoes. They guard them with their lives, well almost. One year about 3 years ago when we were visiting at ND, it just happened to be my birthday. That morning my brother handed me a pretty flowered gift bag with tissue paper and said Happy Birthday. Well, He sure must love me because that bag was filled with big green tomatoes! It bought tears to my eyes, no, not because I love Green Fried Tomatoes so much but to think of what a loving sacrifice that was for him to pick them for his sister. Now every time I eat these Delicious Green Fried Tomatoes, I think of him!
Hear is fresh green tomatoes all sliced up for frying!

Now they are rolled in flower and lightly salted.
I fry them in about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil until golden brown.
I use half vegetable oil and olive oil. You can tell I always use my cast Iron fry pans.



Now they are golden brown and on the serving plate.
The hardest thing is keeping my husband from snitching them before we sit down to our meal.








Just in case you were wondering what other foods we had for supper, I took this picture. Sweet corn, but store bought, ours is just tasseled out in our garden, also sirloin tip steak with sauteed mushrooms on top and of course for this hot 109 degree day, a Michelob Golden light draft beer.

No comments: